Designer Tidbits: Sandy Gervais

Sandy Gervais is bringing the hip vibes of Soho NYC straight to your sewing room! Soho Chic by Sandy Gervais for Moda Fabrics takes its cues from the energetic neighborhood in New York City, and the collection is here to energize your next quilt and sewing projects. Sandy Gervais will tell you more about Soho Chic, so keep reading for a closer look!


Q: Where did you find your original inspiration for Soho Chic?
A: A trip to New York and the neighborhood of SoHo.


Q: Tell us about your background. How did you get into the fabric and quilting industry?
A: I wanted to design greeting cards but my high school counselor did not think an A in art class made you an artist. It took me 7 years before I decided to go against the counselor’s advice and start a greeting card company – My Dream Designs. I later started incorporating the card images into small quilted wall hangings. I then turned the quilts into patterns and my Pieces From My Heart pattern company was born. I showed these patterns at International Quilt Market in St. Louis years ago, where I was discovered by Moda Fabrics.


Q: What projects do you hope to see using Soho Chic? Quilts, apparel, accessories, home décor projects?
A: I feel like SoHo Chic will work well in all aspects of the sewing/quilting/fashion world. I think Joy’s dress shows that it will work well for fashion.


Q: Tell us about your background. How did you learn to sew, quilt, and design fabric?
A: My mother taught me to sew clothes at a very young age. I did not take up quilting until shortly before I started designing fabric. I still like to make clothing. I wish I had more time to sew clothes. Sewing clothes that fit perfectly is very time consuming. It is all about the fit.


Q: What are some blocks or obstacles you encounter in your creativity, and how do you get past them?
A: I often turn to chocolate to ease my artist block!


Q: What is your favorite print in the collection?
A: I really like the Ovals print in leaf and teal. It is a recreation of my original “cheerio” print.


Q: What do you plan to make using Soho Chic?
A: I have already made 7 SoHo quilts. My daughter would like to do some fabric in embroidery hoops for her walls – I think we will use SoHo Chic.

Labels: ,