Designer Tidbits: Lori Holt

Get ready for an adorable mother-daughter collaboration! Gracie Girl by Lori Holt of Bee in my Bonnet was a family affair, and now is used to decorate her daughters room. Kassidy added a contemporary twist to her mother's signature vintage style and we just love the end result. Lori is here to share more about Gracie Girl, so keep reading for a closer look!


Q: Where did you find your original inspiration for this collection?
A: My daughter Kassidy Grace (she is 14) and I recently re-did her bedroom. During the initial stages, we decided it would be fun to collaborate together for my next fabric collection, so we did and Gracie Girl was born! (Gracie Girl is my nick name for Kassidy!) Now we can decorate her room in our new collection... and so can you!


Q: What was the collaboration process like?
A: Kassidy chose all of the colors. Several of them are my favorite colors that I always work with, she added a few more and now they are my favorites too. She described the kind of elements she wanted and I would sketch them. I continued with all of the drawings until we were both happy!


Q: What would be your collection's theme song?
A: "In my Daughters Eyes" by Martina McBride


Q: Tell me about your sewing machine(s). What kinds do you have and how many?
A: I have 4 sewing machines. My much loved Bernina, and 3 vintage sewing machines. A Singer Featherweight, a White Industrial and an Elna Grasshopper. Kassidy has 2 machines. A pink featherweight (her dad painted it for her) and a Brother (project runway edition) that I bought for her when she was 9.


Q: What is your favorite part of the fabric industry?
A: I just love the creative process. It amazes me every time to see my sketches end up on beautiful fabric in my happy colors!


Q: From what aspect of your life do you draw creativity?
A: I draw my inspiration from everything around me, especially colors. I love flowers and the beauty of the earth, I am inspired by my family, and of course anything vintage.

Q: What is your design process?
A: I am a self taught artist. I have always loved to draw. When I am designing fabric or a pattern, I initially draw with a mechanical pencil. When I am happy with the sketch, I use a Pigma marker to ink over it .


Q: What is your favorite print in the collection?
A: I love the vintage clocks (available in gray, pink, and blue) and the fat quarter panels!

Q: What is the most challenging part of the design process?
A: Narrowing down all of my sketches into what will fit for one collection and deciding what to save for the next one!


Q: What are your favorite and least favorite colors and why?
A: I love happy happy colors! I like clear tones the best. They are the colors of nature and speak to me the most. I'm not very fond of black. It just doesn't seem like a color to me.

Labels: ,