Book of the Month May 2013: Quilts From Sweet Jane

It's time again for a new Book of the Month! Sue Pfau of Sweet Jane's Quilting is here today to tell you a little bit about our May Book of the Month, Quilts from Sweet Jane! And don't forget, the Book of the Month is 20% off all month!


Hello fellow quilters! This is my first book and I am very excited about it. Some of you may be familiar with my work already. The Fat Quarter Shop sells my individual patterns as well as my book, Quilts from Sweet Jane, which is the May 2013 Book of the Month!. I love precut fabrics and all 10 patterns in my book are geared toward the precuts. What makes my book different from others is that each pattern (except one…) uses only one bundle of precut fabric and the addition of only one neutral fabric and you are all set to make a whole quilt. It makes fabric selection quick and easy.
There are many reasons why I like using precuts so much. The color selection is done for you, so it cuts out lengthy trips to the quilt shop. I literally used to bring a snack with me because I was there for two plus hours! Buying precuts is cheaper because you are only buying what you need. They are easier to work with because there is less cutting and less mess.
The other day I got out a bunch of scraps to make a quilt and my work area became a disaster area! After I dug the various sizes and colors out of the bag, I had to iron and measure the pieces to see if they would work. I was not enjoying myself at all! You don’t get that degree of disarray or aggravation with precuts. I try to be as stress free as possible in my life, and working with precuts and easy patterns are the ticket for me! I think my book reflects that philosophy. You can pick any pattern and it won’t be hard or time consuming to do anything, from fabric selection, to cutting, to sewing your last stitch!



Here are my two kids, helping me show off my quilts! This is one of my favorite patterns in the book. The pattern is called “Jumping Jacks,” after my son Jack. It uses 70 charm squares. I used two Moda charm packs for one quilt, and one Riley Blake 10” stacker for the other.

There are some sizable lap quilts that would also be good for coverlets on a bed. This one uses only one jelly roll, and the finished size is 62” x 80”. The fabric I used is Hello Luscious by BasicGrey.
My book has a good mix of baby quilts and large lap quilts, hopefully something for everyone! Keep in mind you can easily cut your stash into strips or squares to adapt them to the instructions. I hope you find the quilts in my book enjoyable to make and even nicer to have in your home or give away as a gift! And remember, Quilts from Sweet Jane is 20% off all month long at Fat Quarter Shop!

Labels: ,