Designer Tidbits: Sue Zipkin


When you're in love, it's always Valentine's Day. It may be October, but love is surely in the air. Sue Zipkin's new collection, Hug Me, celebrates love with sweet prints, fun sayings about love and fresh colors. Shop the collection and share your love with a heart-felt project.




Q: What inspired this collection?
A: I dedicate this collection to love! I was inspired to design a pattern that featured hearts and fun sayings about love for Valentine's Day. A client that manufactures kitchen textiles licensed it, and then I showed it to Clothworks. They loved it and suggested I try doing it in a fabric group in a really fresh, fun color way using gray and pink.

Q: What is your favorite project using this collection?
A: I saw the lovely Huggable Table Topper Kit being sold at Fat Quarter Shop that I adore!


Q: What would be your collection’s theme song?
A: The theme song for this collection would definitely be "All You Need is Love" by the Beatles.


Q: If you could live in a movie, what movie would it be?
A: Perhaps I would like to live in Shangri-La. I'm not sure what version it was, but when I was little I remember watching that movie and feeling like that's where I belonged.


Q: What do you get nostalgic over?
A: The original Spirograph toy & Devil Dogs.

Q: What is your favorite TV show of all time?
A: It’s really hard to pick just one. I love to laugh, so one of my favorites is Seinfeld.


Q: If you could be a modern day fictional character, who would you be?
A: Nanny McPhee or is it Mary Poppins. Hmm I just can't decide.


Q: What’s the strangest compliment you've ever received?
A: I know I have received a few strange compliments over the years. I just can't seem to recall any of them. The most memorable compliments I ever received was when we were selling our apartment, and someone looked in my closet and said oh you have Sweet Shoppe dinnerware I really love that design. I then proceeded to tell them I was the creator of the design, for a minute there they thought I was "crazy" and was perhaps making this up.


Labels: ,